As every degree of warming is projected to cause at least a five-percent decrease in global crop yield (IPCC, 2021), agriculture calls for an urgent transformation.
finres was created in 2019 and gathers scientists motivated by the ambition to revolutionize decision-making in rural economies. finres scientists put sciences and the latest technological advances at the service of food security and sovereignty. We created the first scientific and AI platform to underwrite agricultural loans under climate change and prioritize investments in technologies and practices in the agricultural sector. The firm has informed US$1.4 billion of investments in 32 countries and works with partners such as the World Bank, the United Nations, CRDB (Tanzania’s largest bank) and the French Development Agency (AFD). If you aspire to be an active player in the resilient movement, this opportunity will fulfill your aspiration.
After three years of bootstrapping, finres has raised 4.1 million euros from some of Europe’s most prestigious VCs and Business Angels. The objective of the fundraising is to accelerate the deployment and development of finres’ solutions globally.
As a climate economist at finres, you will be responsible for expanding our existing scientific solutions in relation with the macroeconomic consequences of climate change, adaptation and loss and damage. You will work closely with our chief scientist and CEO along with the R&D team.
The position will be divided into three blocks:
- Analysis, Research and Development:
- Preparing a structured literature review on climate change impacts in economic sectors, adaptation and loss and damage at the macroeconomic and sectoral levels;
- Researching and developing, in collaboration with the team, new modules in macroeconomic models to integrate new datasets, new computing methods (e.g., xML and xAI), climate change adaptation and loss and damage;
- Responding to customers’ requests of products and solutions – automatable – using existing models;
- Participating in the definition of the development strategy and communications of finres’ macroeconomic products;
- Proposing improvements for the macroeconomic products based on clients’ needs and the evolution of the market (e.g., simplification and presentation of results improvements);
- Developing new products and functionality in existing models in collaboration with the R&D team and the product team;
- Ensuring compliance with internal due diligence to verify and assess the quality, transparency and robustness of the solutions.
- Planning and implementing activities under the macroeconomic projects, in collaboration with the project leader.
- Business Development:
- Participating in the development of the startup and contributing to the business development.
The position is under the supervision of finres’ chief scientist and CEO and work closely with climate scientists, data scientists, and agronomists.
Skills and knowledge required:
- Economist specialized in econometrics, xML or xAI (x as explainable) with knowledge of climate hazards and / or willingness to learn about climate change.
- Perfect knowledge and practice of R and/or Python (a test will be proposed to you before the final interview).
- Vivid interest and knowledge of climate issues;
- Excellent knowledge and experience, if possible, track record, in econometrics and/or statistics, explainable machine learning / artificial intelligence.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, French language knowledge is appreciated.
Skills and knowledge appreciated:
- Knowledge of parallel and cluster computing.
- Knowledge of (R)markdown or quarto and document generation documents is appreciated.
The profile that we are looking for:
- Economist with strong academic background and learning ability looking for an impactful job in the field of climate resilience and development;
- Graduates in economics / econometrics and doctoral students and candidates with a master’s degree in this field.
- CV’s screening: The hiring team will carefully review the received CVs and shortlist candidates who meet the basic requirements.
- Initial screening interview: Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial screening interview, which will be conducted over the phone or through video conferencing. This interview aims to assess the candidate’s communication skills, general fit for the role and motivation.
- Selection test: Shortlisted candidate will have to take a short selection test designed to evaluate their analytical and presentation skills.
- Final interview: Following the selection test, candidates who performed well will be invited to a last interview with our CEO.
- Decision and offer: After an internal discussion within the hiring team, the selected candidate will be formally extended a job offer.
Location of the position: Paris, 16th Arrondissement (with the possibility of having days of teleworking).
Contract: Permanent contract with a probation period of four months renewable once.
Remuneration: The salary is aligned with motivation and experience of the candidates. Bonuses based on performance and exceeding targets. Stock-options (BSPCE) for employees.
- The ability to contribute to the resolution of global challenges.
- The Navigo transport pass is partially covered (50%).
- Public and private health insurance.
How to apply: Please send your CV and cover letter. Applications are expected in English.
Applications will be examined on a rolling basis until the suitable applicant is found.